Supreme Court of Western Australia

Feedback and Complaints

The Supreme Court of Western Australia has a commitment to providing a prompt, courteous and efficient registry service to the Western Australian community. The Court recognises that court users and the community can provide valuable information and feedback to help maintain our current high standards.

The following information is intended to assist those who would like to provide feedback on, make a complaint, offer a compliment or provide a suggestion for the Supreme Court of Western Australia.

Who can use this service?

Feedback, complaints and compliments can be made by any person whether or not they are litigants in the Court. When dealing with any matter lodged through this service the Court will, so far as possible, respect and take into account the needs of clients, including people with language and cultural barriers and those with low literacy skills or disabilities.

Contact can be made on behalf of a person providing feedback, making a complaint, or offering a compliment, if he or she would experience difficulties doing so.

What type of complaints can be made?

Anyone has the right to complain about any aspect of the Court's registry services and all complaints will be investigated and responded to appropriately. You cannot, however, use these procedures if you want to complain because you think:

  • the decision in your case was incorrect or unfair or
  • the judge, master or registrar did not handle your case properly.

If you do not agree with a decision made by the Court or a judge in your case, you may appeal against that decision to a higher court. In some cases however, an application for leave to appeal may need to be made. Court staff can give you more information about the procedure for lodging an appeal. However, they cannot advise you on whether you should appeal. You may need legal advice to make this decision.

If you wish to make a complaint about a member of the judiciary, it should be made in writing to the Chief Justice. Complaints about a member of the judiciary will be dealt with in accordance with the Protocol for Complaints against Judicial Officers in Western Australia. If the matter relates to an associate or orderly, it should be made in writing to either their responsible judicial officer or the associate or orderly to the Chief Justice.

How to provide feedback, make a complaint or give a compliment

You can do this either:

  • in person or over the telephone
  • in writing or
  • electronically from our web site.

Any member of staff at the Court may receive your feedback, complaint or compliment. This will then be referred to the Manager, General Division. The Court may also request additional information to assist in the resolution of your complaint or to identify the correct area for the compliment or suggestion to be forwarded to.

Oral feedback, complaints & compliments

Users of the Court can offer oral feedback, make a complaint or give a compliment. However, if the complaint is complex you may be asked to put the matter in writing.

Written feedback, complaints & compliments

Feedback, complaints and compliments can be submitted by post, fax or e-mail. You should send your letter, fax or email to the Manager, General Division at the Supreme Court. If your contact is made in writing, you will need to include:

  • your name, address and contact phone number.
  • the case number and parties involved in the action if applicable.
  • details of the feedback, complaint or compliment including the names (if known) of any individuals involved and the date of the occurrence.

Electronic feedback & complaints

Contact may also be made via the Court's web site. Electronic lodgements will be acknowledged by email with the formal response to an emailed communication replied to by post.

Anonymous complaints

The Court does not accept anonymous complaints.

Responding to complaints

If your complaint is made in person or over the telephone, a member of staff will try to resolve the issue immediately. If the issue cannot be resolved immediately you should receive a formal acknowledgement within 3 working days.

The acknowledgment will indicate who is responsible for investigating the complaint and provide an indication of the time by which a formal response will be given. Generally we will respond within 10 working days to advise you of the outcome or the progress of your complaint.

Can a complaint be withdrawn?

A complaint can be withdrawn at any time. Notice to withdraw the complaint should be given to the Manager General Division in writing.

If you need the assistance of an interpreter

A telephone interpreter service is also available by telephoning 131 450 from anywhere in Australia (ask them to contact the Manager, General Division at the Supreme Court of Western Australia (08) 9421 5521). No fee is charged for this service.

Last updated: 1-May-2019

[ back to top ]